Location: Remand Home
Activity Date: 27.10.2023
Start Time: 10:00 AM End Time: 11:00 AM
Facilitators: Adelaide, Sophia, Tiago, Dilara
Number of Participants: 25
Male: 24 Female: 1
Activity Purpose/ Summary:
In last Fridays English class our purpose was to educate the children on how to write a letter in English.
We started with a warm up using a big cube that the kids had to throw. For each number of the cube there was a question or an activity that the kids had to do or answer:
1. What makes you happy?
2. If you would meet a magic ferry, what would you wish for?
3. Which 2 things would you take with you on a lonely island ?
4. How did you celebrate Christmas when you were home?
5. What is your talent?
After the warm up we introduced the structure of a letter to the boys and let them write a letter to a family member or a friend.
As a guideline we introduced the following questions tot hem to write about in the letter:
– How are you feeling?
– How was you last week?
– What are your dreams in life?
– What are your worries?
– What do you want to ask the other person?
The activity went very well. There are two mayor achievements:
1. It became more clear to us, which of the kids are already fluent and good in expressing themselves in English.
2. The kids opened up very much and enjoyed diving into deeper thoughts and reflecting themselves.
The children feel comfortable with our lessons and our presents which made them open up in their letters more than we expected. As a result we got insights on their emotional state which gives us the chance to do follow ups through seeking one on one conversations and counseling to support the children’s well-being.