NGO Social Work & Psychology Internship in
NGO Social Work & Psychology Internship
The social work intern works with the BetterMe social work department to facilitate and implement projects such as YUMP (Youth Unleashed Mentorship Program), the Bursary program, and the Child Sponsorship Program. Each of these programs are aimed at promoting the emotional wellbeing of children and youth in Kisumu County, whether they are students at Korando, at local elementary/high schools, or at-risk youth living in the community. One of the primary partners is the Kisumu County Children’s Remand Home, where interns conduct weekly visits to counsel children who are in contact with the law. The social work intern creates lesson plans geared towards social-emotional learning for school-wide presentations and group counseling sessions, facilitates these sessions, and also may engage in one-on-one counseling with children and youth. In addition, the social work intern plans and facilitates trainings for other volunteers and social workers in the local area, through partnerships with organizations such as Jijenge Youth Organization and Homeless of Kisumu. After each outreach session, the intern is responsible for a brief report on the activity, and meets with the BetterMe social work team to debrief sessions and receive supervisory comments or critiques.
Your role will be designed according to your skills, desired learning outcomes and needs of the organization.
Your tasks may include:
- Plan and facilitate psychoeducational presentations for school-wide YUMP (Youth Unleashed Mentorship Program) sessions (avg. 300 children/youth).
- Plan and facilitate psychoeducational lessons for group counselling sessions (avg. 20 children/youth)
- Meet one-on-one with local children/youth for counselling sessions.
- Plan and facilitate lessons for fellow volunteers and social workers, aimed at team-building and preventing burnout.
- Participate in strategy meetings for BetterMe programs (YUMP, Child Sponsorship Program) as well as partner programs (Homeless of Kisumu, Jijenge Youth Organization).
- Report weekly to supervisor through written activity reports and debriefing meetings.
- Continuously log lesson plans as part of an ongoing curriculum manual.
- Assist in management of databases for BetterMe programs (YUMP, Child Sponsorship, Bursary program).
- Positive attitude towards the local culture.
- Ability to work in a new and challenging environment.
- Basic knowledge in psychology and counseling.
- Ability to manage and monitor a team.
- Proficiency in English.
- Curiosity and willingness to learn.
Whom we are looking for
If you are a bright ambitious individual with drive to learn and grow, a great people person who appreciates individuals from all walks of life, brilliant at listening, someone that embraces challenges and thrives off the opportunity to problem solve … plus interested in developing or starting an exciting career in Africa, this could be just what you were looking for.
Where in Kenya
These adventurous and rewarding internships are located in an semi-developed laid-back community in western Kenya and whilst there can be challenges to face working in such a spot, there are also many big rewards, for the right person.
This is a beautiful place to live and work, it’s green and the air could not be fresher, and although it will be challenging and frustrating at times, the Korando Educational Center we are embedded is incredibly warm and hospitable.
You need to be ready and willing to work productively and calmly against occasional power-limitations and internet issues, local rules and ways of doing things within a different pace and enjoy immersing in respecting and learning from different cultures.
This is not a 9-5 internship.. it’s more of a lifestyle you need to be looking for. But it is also a great way to be involved in real grassroots development work in Africa.
Population: 43.18 million
Official languages: Swahili and English
Currency: Kenyan Shilling (KES)
Time zone: UTC+03:00
Fees for 2023: Year-Round
12 weeks – EUR 2,460
16 weeks – EUR 2,848
20 weeks – EUR 3,240
24 weeks – EUR 3,624
- Accommodation in our Volunteer Dome Home (max. two persons per room, shared bathroom)
- Kisumu Airport pick up & drop off
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner as well as drinking water, coffee, tea and fruits
- Internship Mentor
- Pre-Departure Pack
- In-country supervision/support
- Optional Weekend Excursions (additional fees might apply)
- All items of personal nature such as curious, gifts, snacks, drinks and clothing
- Round-trip international airfare
- Personal insurance
- Passport and Visa fees